YOU DIED: THE DARK SOULS COMPANION IS NOW AVAILABLE TO BUY
The day has finally come! You Died: The Dark Souls Companion is out RIGHT NOW. I know, we can hardly believe it either. Jason reckons this whole process was even more trying than finishing the game at Soul Level 1.
Thank you so much, firstly, to everyone who has helped us by spreading the word, sending in their Dark Souls stories, or just offering words of support so far. If you’ve pre-ordered the book it will be with you today, or very soon indeed. We really hope you enjoy it. We don’t think there’s any other book like it out there, which is partly why we felt the need to make it happen.
WHERE CAN I BUY THE BOOK?
You can buy a PHYSICAL VERSION of You Died: The Dark Souls Companion from our exclusive distributor MyBookSource, for £9.99 (or the equivalent) plus shipping.
You can buy a DIGITAL VERSION from Amazon for Kindle devices (yes, we realise having a Dark Souls book available on the KINDLE store is the most perfect coincidence ever). It’s also available on iBooks for iOS devices.
BUT I LIVE IN THE U.S., EUROPE, JAPAN, ETC. CAN I STILL BUY IT?
Digital versions are available everywhere in the world. Our distributor Freight Books ships worldwide. For Americans, it’ll cost around $22 altogether. Here’s the order page.
WILL YOU BE SELLING THE PHYSICAL BOOK IN SHOPS OR ON AMAZON?
Certainly not for a while, and possibly not ever – that depends on our publisher. For now, you’re best off ordering from Freight Books if you’d like a physical copy.
WHAT’S IN THE BOOK?
Here’s some of what you can expect:
- Brand-new interview material with Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki, and others closely involved in the game’s creation
A full, guided tour of Dark Souls’ world and lore, delving into its many enduring mysteries
- 40 original illustrations by collaborators Paul Scott Canavan (cover artist) and Angus Dick (featured below)
- Vignettes about how Dark Souls has affected people’s lives, from the couple who fell in love while exploring Blighttown to an in-depth profile of video creator VaatiVidya, who makes a living from unpacking its lore
Misadventures of the first game journalists to ever set foot in Lordran
- The most insane challenges undertaken by Dark Souls fans, from completing the game using solely voice commands to spending two hours killing Gwyn with bare knuckles
- Explore the psychology of Dark Souls players, from those who love invading and assassinating unsuspecting players to the jolly co-operators whose fun comes from helping out
- Game developers share the ways in which Dark Souls has influenced their own projects and shaped the industry at large
Learn the history of Dark Souls developer From Software and discover how the game was made
WHERE CAN I READ SOME OF THE BOOK?
If you want to try before you buy, you’ve got several options:
Kotaku published one of our player-story chapters: an excerpt entitled “How a Total Novice Built a Solid YouTube Following Playing Dark Souls”.
PC Gamer published one of our chapters profiling VaatiVidya: an excerpt entitled “How One YouTuber Turned Dark Souls Lore Into A Living”.
EDGE Magazine issue 291 has a long excerpt (only available in print)
Excerpts featured elsewhere on this site:
HOW BIG IS THE BOOK AND WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
You Died clocks in at 333 pages and features over 40 half-page illustrations. Put simply, you’ll be hard-pressed to finish it in a single evening.
If you have further questions or have already gotten your copy and want to share a photo with us of yourself enjoying the book, you can find us on Twitter @YouDiedBook.